The Burger King logo is the corporate insignia of the second largest chain of hamburger fast food restaurants in sheer number of locations (12,200) behind McDonalds (32,400). Its origin as a company began in 1953 in Jacksonville, Florida, when Insta-Burger King was created. The founders were Keith J. Kramer and his wife’s uncle Matthew Burns, who had been searching for a new restaurant concept and became inspired by the McDonald brothers’ original store location in San Bernardino, California. They bought the rights to two pieces of equipment called “Insta” machines, then opened their first stores around a reconfigured cooking apparatus known as the Insta-Broiler. It proved so successful at cooking burgers that all of their franchises were required to use the remarkable device. The company soon faltered in 1959 and was acquired by James McLamore and David R. Edgerton, two franchisees from Miami, Florida, who completely restructured the chain, renamed the company Burger King, and the ubiquitous “bun-halves” logo was born.